Goals of the Course(JPN)
Goals of the Course
|The objective of this class is to develop basic skill of academic writing in Japanese. Through the course, students are expected to express their own opinion in Japanese. For this purpose, this course focuses on analyzing texts, forming thesis statements, supporting these ideas with the text, building effective arguments, and using evidence. This class is targeted to students whose Japanese proficiency level is from middle-intermediate to upper intermediate (CEFR B1-B2).|
Objectives of the Course(JPN)
Objectives of the Course
|the end of the course, Students are expected |
- to be able to write an essay or report which develops an argument systematically with appropriate highlighting of significant points and relevant supporting detail.
- to be able to plan what is to be said and the means to say it, considering the effect on the recipient/s.
- to be able to express his/her ideas and opinions with precisely and convincingly.
- to be able to synthesise information and arguments from a number of sources.
Course Content / Plan
|Topic1 : Reading and discussion. |
Writing skill: Definition
Writing assignment : making definition
Topic 2 : Reading and discussion.
Writing assignment about Topic 2
Topic 3 : Reading and discussion.
writing assignment about topic 3
Topic 4 : Reading and Discussion.
Writing an academic report "making thesis statement" "Paragraph writing" "organization of sentences" "making argumentation" "checking your writing"
writing assignment : final report
Course Prerequisites and Related Courses
Course Evaluation Method and Criteria
|Your final grade will be calculated according to the following process: |
- Contribution to class discussions (20%)
- assignment (60%)
- final report (20%)
- students must participate and actively express what they have understanded in the class and their thoughts on the topics.
- students must describe their opinions logically with validate reason on their assignments and final report.
|Materials will be provided in the course.|
|Instructions will be given in class.|
Study Load(Self-directed Learning Outside Course Hours)
|*Approximately one-two hour of learning is required to prepare for the assignment.|
Notice for Students
|The syllabus may be adjusted due to the students’ Japanese proficiency level and their interests.|
Students are required to prepare and review each lesson, especially the vocabulary of the reading material. In addition to the assignments a lecturer gives, they are expected to carry out work on their own.
※Students are expected to attend every class. If the student was absent for more than 5 lectures, he/she will be considered as “absent”.
※Being late three times is counted as one absence.
Lecture format, etc.
Additional measures for remote class (on-demand class)