Goals of the Course(JPN)
Goals of the Course
|This course is aimed at enabling the students to deepen their understanding of basic concepts in environmental governance and also of the role international organizations play in solving global issues including global environmental issues with a view to fostering the students’ ability to make proper judgments required for addressing issues our increasingly globalized society faces today.|
Objectives of the Course(JPN)
Objectives of the Course
|At the end of the course, the students will be able to understand from the perspective of global governance the nature of the rules that international organizations in the UN family have created with regards to global issues including global environmental issues, and also the way in which international organizations have induced the states and firms to comply with these rules through various institutional arrangements.|
Course Content / Plan
|The following themes will be covered in the form of lectures and discussion. |
1. Introduction: international organizations as agents of global governance
2. The development of international organizations in international society
3. The autonomy of international organizations and patterns of organizational change
4. The creation of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and its adaptation
5. The creation of the World Bank and its organizational learning
6. The creation of the GATT/WTO and its organizational paralysis
7. The limited autonomy of the UNEP and its organizational non-growth
8. The UNEP's leadership in constructing an effective international regime for the protection of the ozone layer
9. The absence of the UNEP's leadership in constructing a regime on climate change
10. "Orchestration" in the field of business and environment: the case of CEO Water
11. "Orchestration" in the field of business and human rights: the case of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
12. Students presentations on the topics of their choice
13. Students presentations on the topics of their choice
14. The future perspectives on global governance
15. Qs&As regarding the lectures
Course Prerequisites and Related Courses
|No prerequisite for this class. The students are nevertheless recommended to take other courses in political science and International Relations.|
Course Evaluation Method and Criteria
|The students will be evaluated on the basis of their scores of the final examination (80%) and other assignments (20%) . A minimum grade of C is required to receive a passing grade.|
|There is no assigned textbook. The list of assigned readings will be handed out in the first meeting of the class.|
|Instructions regarding references will be given if necessary in class.|
Study Load(Self-directed Learning Outside Course Hours)
|The students are required to read the assigned materials before each class to be prepared for in-class discussion, and also to prepare oral presentations when they choose to give presentations on topics of their choice.|
Notice for Students
|Pease check the class site on the NUCT at least once every week before each class to collect information on the format for the lecture, the class schedule, and the assignments.|
Lecture format, etc.
|If there are any changes concerning the way this class is conducted or any other issues related to the class after the registration period is over, we will inform you on the NUCT site designated for this class.|
List of hybrid classes employing both face-to-face and remote teaching methods will be posted in the "News" of the homepage of the Graduate School of Law.
*If there are any changes in the teaching methods after the period of course registration, it will be announced on NUCT.
Additional measures for remote class (on-demand class)
Remote classes are conducted via NUCT. Questions to instructors should be asked using the NUCT "Message" function.
Student discussions will be conducted using the NUCT "Message" function. (If the instructor has added the "Forum" function, the "Forum" can also be used.)
Follow your instructor's directions if your instructor has any other directions.